Move Away

Move away cases, as they are frequently called, present a particular challenge for co-parenting and child custody decisions.  Whether it is a Kansas divorce case, Kansas paternity case, Missouri dissolution of marriage, or a Missouri paternity case, there are strict guidelines a custodial parent must follow if attempting to relocate (move away) with the child(ren) in their custody.  Both Kansas family law and Missouri family law require that the custodial parent provide statutorily compliant notice to the other parent of the planned relocation (move away) with the child(ren).  Once the other parent has been provided notice of the planned move away, he or she should act immediately to contest the move away or else the opportunity to contest it may be lost forever.  If the non-custodial parent chooses to contest, that parent must show the Court why the move away is not in the child's best interests.  Even if the non-custodial parent chooses not to contest the actual move away, it is likely that a modification of the current parenting schedule is needed to account for the child's new living situation.  If you, a family member, or a friend lives in in the Kansas City metropolitan area, contact The Flynn Law Firm for assistance in planning the move away process, or to challenge another parent’s planned move away in a Kansas divorce, Kansas paternity, Missouri dissolution of marriage, or Missouri paternity case.