Modifying Another State’s Custody Orders

Modifying another state’s custody orders involve more than simply asking your local Kansas family law court or Missouri family law court for modification.  Both Kansas and Missouri have adopted the Uniform Child-Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act (UCCJEA), which governs the courts’ power to make legal decisions regarding child custody, child support, and modifying another state's custody orders.  The family court must first determine that modifying another state's custody order is allowed under the UCCJEA and the applicable state law.  Oftentimes parties can agree that a Kansas or Missouri court (depending on where the child lives) has juridicistion for modifying another state's custody orders.  If the parents cannot agree, then the Court will hold a hearing to determine its ability to enter orders modifying another state's custody orders.  If the court determines it has the authority, then it will then determine whether a modification is in the child’s best interests. If you, a family member, or a friend need to modify a child custody order from another state, contact The Flynn Law Firm for assistance. Our experienced family law attorneys have helped many clients successfully comply with the UCCJEA in bringing their family law case to the proper family law court in Kansas or Missouri to obtain modification off out-of-state and out-of-date child custody orders.