There are several important things to consider when dealing with a speeding ticket. First, you should be polite to the officer, no matter what. If a police officer puts instructions on the ticket to the prosecutor that the ticket should not be amended, the prosecutor will almost always defer to the officer’s instructions and force you to either plead guilty or take the case to trial. This is because officers are the investigatory tools and witnesses the prosecution relies on to make their case. If you get into any confrontation with a police officer, this could greatly reduce your chance to have a ticket amended to a non-moving violation.

Second, the best solution to a traffic ticket is almost always having the ticket amended to a non-moving violation, which keeps your insurance from going up and points from going on your license, or traffic diversion, which will erase the charge entirely if you comply with the diversion terms. The three most common reasons for these solutions to not be available to you are: if you’ve recently received a separate traffic ticket, if the officer instructs the prosecutor to not amend or offer diversion, or if the ticket was issued in a construction or school zone. Also, some places will not amend or offer diversion if you are speeding a certain amount over the speed limit (for example, if you are going more than 20 mph over the speed limit).

Third, amending a ticket to a non-moving violation or going through traffic diversion is a trade-off. It keeps your insurance rates from increasing and it keeps points off your license. But for that benefit, you will always be charged more money. Many jurisdictions offer an amendment for double the fine, plus court costs. Some offer it at a flat rate. Some jurisdictions require an attorney for amendments or traffic diversion. Even if a jurisdiction doesn’t require one, it can still be worth it to you to have someone who knows what they’re doing, who has experience handling these tickets, and who can make sure your ticket is handled quickly and correctly.

If you’ve received a speeding ticket in the greater Kansas City area, call us today to get help from experienced traffic attorneys.